At United Way Bengaluru, we realize the importance of early childhood learning (ECE) and school readiness for children (0-6 years of age) before they begin formal schooling. While nutrition, healthcare, timely achievement of age-appropriate developmental milestones and basic learning are core elements to ensure this, it also requires the right infrastructure, facilities, and activities for a holistic intervention. Our work is informed by the ECCE Policy of the Government of India.
This is what we aspire to do through our Born Learning Campaign. We partner with the Women and Child Development Department to provide children with an optimal environment to learn and develop in select urban and peri-urban anganwadis. Born Learning Campaign uses a highly scalable module that emphasizes on the need to make early childhood education a norm rather than a preference. This greatly impacts the learning outcomes among children as they progress through the ranks of primary education.
BLC WORKS TO FACILITATE MODEL ANGANWADIS. TOWARDS THIS, THE FOLLOWING ASPECTS ARE GIVEN IMPORTANCE:
- Improve the nutritional and health status of children in the age-group of 0-6 years.
- Lay the foundation for proper psychological, physical and social development of the child.
- Impart nutrition and health education to mothers and strengthen their capacities to look after the health and nutritional needs of the child
- Achieve effective co-ordination of policy and implementation amongst the various departments to promote child development.
- Enhance the capacities of Bal Vikas Samitis
- Encourage volunteering activities among corporate employees
HOW WE DRIVE CHANGE
- Provide access to an optimal learning environment for the children
- Offer appropriate health, hygiene, and nutrition awareness through active involvement of community stakeholders. This sensitizes parent groups towards health, hygiene, and nutrition, which have a significant impact on the learning outcomes among children
THE PILLARS OF BORN LEARNING CAMPAIGN
- SAFE AND CONDUCIVE LEARNING ENVIRONMENT
- LEARNING OUTCOMES
- COMMUNITY MOBILIZATION